Rainy Day Activities..
..that make staying indoors memorable and fun!
It’s howling a gale outside, the rain is lashing against the window panes and the weather is just too awful to even contemplate dancing in the rain!
It’s got me thinking what is a family to do faced with bored teens and restless parents. The more I thought about it, the more I realised that if we could alter our thinking and look at the opportunity we have to spend family time together, we can create long-lasting memories for our children, and even better memories for ourselves.
I started a list of rainy-day activities for all age-groups, that I hope to develop with your help! Here are some ideas I’ve thought of, so far..
- Make up a silly story and take it in turns to add the next line.
- Bake cupcakes together and have a tea party complete with cups and saucers.
- Play your favourite board-game that’s guaranteed to get everyone involved!
- Start that huge puzzle you were given, but have always put off.
- Open up a beauty salon and ask your daughters to give you a manicure and make-up session, very giggle-worthy!
- Play Jenga, s stacking game guaranteed to engage everyone!
- Hold a dressing up competition as to who can look the daftest!
- Put your tent up in the living room and read adventure stories to the kids, like Treasure Island or Swallows and Amazons!
- Watch an old fashioned family movie, get the kids to help make popcorn, make cinema tickets and show you to your seats!
- Create a film and allow responsible children to take charge of a video camera and use their creativity- the only limit is the imagination!
- Try making friendship bracelets- you can learn the craft on this you tube tutorial
- Try making these Easy Crazy Crayon Party Favors
- Got a dog? Why not lay a trail of treats and watch as your pooch discovers them one by one!
- Make your own personalised Door Knob Hanger!
- Make and pilot your very own Origami Paper Airplane
- Create your own wave-maker: 1x 2 litre soda bottle, fill half with water and other half with clear vegetable oil, add food colouring, seal and tight and hey presto!
- Collect particles in the air above your bed and examine them with a microscope..eeeh!
- Make your own custom made memory card game-just cut 6 or 12 identically sized cards and draw pairs of whatever you like!
- Make a T-shirt Scarf.
- Check out this Walnut Candle Tutorial and light to your home on the darkest nights!
- Bake a delicious Devon Apple Cake and learn some interesting apple facts!
What are your favourite rainy day activities? What are some of your most cherished childhood memories from long, wet days spent inside your house? Please share your thoughts or links with us, and we’ll add them to this list!
About the Author (Author Profile)
Rebecca Watkins worked as a professional photo journalist and travelled the world with her husband John, before settling down as a stay at home mother to their three daughters. They have recently moved back from the French Alps to an old cottage in Devon, England. Rebecca’s days are filled with visits to the beach, animated discussions and in the best moments, happiness and creativity in her family home of five. The other moments are filled with craziness and chaos and she loves those too.